Tax Relief: Questions You May Have 

Tax Relief: Questions You May Have

How much do I have to give to qualify for Tax Relief?

Donations that amount to €250 in any one year or more qualify for tax relief.

How much more money will you get for my €250?

If you gave €250 or more in a single year and are a taxpayer, then UNICEF can reclaim 45% of the value of your donation; a donation of €250 will be worth an extra €112.33. If you donate €1,000 UNICEF can claim €449.30 making your donations to children worth €1,449.30.

What is and where do I find my PPS Number?

This is a number assigned to you by the Revenue Commissioners. You will find it on your payslip, a social welfare card or any communication from the Revenue Commissioners.

I do not pay tax, but my husband/wife does?

As you are taxed as a married couple, you can still fill out the form. You just need to fill out the details of the person who pays the tax.

Can I still fill out the form if I do not pay any tax?

If you were either a self-assessed or a PAYE taxpayer in the year that your donation of over €250 was paid then you can go ahead and fill out the form. Otherwise unfortunately we will not be able to reclaim tax.

How can I stop receiving tax forms?

If you are not a tax payer or you prefer not to receive the tax form in future, please call our Donor Care Team on 01 878 3000.

What if I give to more than one charity?

The donation amount on the form is what you have given to UNICEF. It doesn’t matter if you have given to other charities as well.

Can I cancel an Enduring Certificate?

Yes. If you decide later that you do not want UNICEF to obtain the tax relief, you can cancel an enduring certificate at any stage by contacting UNICEF Ireland.

Does it matter if I am self-employed or self-assessed?

Since 1 Jan 2013, self-assessed and PAYE taxpayers are treated the same – all tax relief goes to the charity, not the taxpayer. So, while you don’t get the relief yourself, your donations to UNICEF Ireland can be worth 45% more at no extra cost to you.

Do donations collected from a charitable event organised by me qualify for this scheme?

Unfortunately, we can only claim tax back on donations, which came personally from you.

If I complete and return the form, does that commit me to giving money?

Absolutely not. We can only claim tax back on donations which you have already given to us.

Do I need to disclose my earnings or tax details?

No. You don’t need to tell us your earnings or how much tax you pay. All we need is your signature and PPS number. What’s more, the information that you disclose on a Charity Tax Relief Form will be kept completely confidential.

Further Questions?

If you have any further queries about the Charity Tax Back Scheme, which are not covered in this FAQ, or need help with returning your form please contact our Donor Care Team on 01 8783000 or email


Help protect children
UNICEF | for every child

Stay informed

Add value to your inbox!
Sign up to keep up to date on what's going on around the world.