What is World Children’s Day?
World Children’s Day takes place every year on the 20th of November. It’s all about supporting children’s rights. Established by the General Assembly of the UN in 1954. It’s mission then was to bring children from all different backgrounds together to appreciate difference. It is designed to put a spotlight on key issues affecting children to prompt governments everywhere to do more for children’s rights and welfare.
5 ways to get involved and support children this November 20th!
- Sign our petition: Every day we see children’s rights being denied and abused. We want to build a world where the rights of children everywhere are safeguarded, and we protect children. We want to put children back on the agenda to ensure every child in school and learning is free to maximise their potential.
Sign the petition and #GoBlue to call on world leaders to commit to fulfilling the rights of every child and acknowledge that these rights are non-negotiable.
- #GoBlue show support with survival gifts:
Going blue for world children’s day has never been easier. You can show your support by going blue now, visit our shop and choose one of our #GoBlue survival gifts. This year we have limited edition go blue gifts, share the gift of hope with the world’s most vulnerable children. As part of our #GoBlue campaign you will also receive a personalised certificate to celebrate your commitment to children everywhere. Check out our shop now: www.unicef.ie/shop2
- Enjoy watching Millie Brown and Liam Neeson’s hilarious world children’s day video:
- Check out events happening for World Children’s Day this year:
This year there are lots of ways to celebrate, with child talks and events happening around Ireland.
November 20 @ 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Child Talks takes place in Dublin City Hall. Modeled on ‘Ted Talks’ they give an opportunity for 8 children of different backgrounds to share their experience of growing up in Ireland in 2018. This will be live streamed to schools around Ireland. To find out more events taking place go here: https://www.childrensday.ie/events/
- Come up with your creative own ideas to #GoBlue and help celebrate world children’s day
There are many ways to show your support, we welcome you to be creative. For example, you could start your own fundraiser for a children’s cause you feel passionate about. Simply log on to Facebook and follow the link below to share awareness, raise funds and help to promote children’s rights.
We are also running our Winter Syria Appeal if you would like to support our efforts to keep Syrian children safe and warm this winter. You can learn more here: https://www.unicef.ie/our_work/emergency/syria-winter-appeal/
or donate here: unicef.donations.ie/Syria
Set up a Facebook Fundraiser here: